A look back at 83 years in the seafood business
At R.I. Smith, we know lobster. Over four generations, we’ve built a successful seafood company on the coast of southwest Nova Scotia. Much has changed since we opened our doors 83 years ago, but not our commitment to premium quality.
Here are some quick facts about R.I. Smith:
- We began as a ground fish and lobster company, which transitioned into an international salt fish business.
- The company was founded by brothers Robert and Wilbert Smith.
- After four generations we remain family-owned. Robert’s son, Elnathan (Babe) Smith, took the company from 1977 into the new millennium. Babe’s grandson, Jonathan Sears, is the current president.
- We were among the first in the industry to adopt long-term storage in an effort to provide best quality, out-of-season.
- We were approved under the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) eco-certification program in September 2015. We are an industry leader in providing our clients with full-fledged chain of custody for eco-certified lobsters, a protocol of which we remain very proud going forward.